Wet sanding with a sponge-backed 400 grit paper reveals high and low spots that can be further worked with my nylon hammer and bucking bars.
The water also creates a sheen that reveals surface unevenness.
This allows for the removal of the fine-line tape while the paint is wet.
Time for a cigar perhaps......
The Pants are given a generous coat of epoxy primer along with all the other repair parts. Then riveted together
Then wet sanding until the epoxy primer is exposed, being careful not to sand through to bare metal.
I had to order 4" tape for the leading and trailing edges of the gear legs. Once received I finished them off.
Although I achieved a reasonable result, it was evident that I still had not solved all my paint booth problems.
I also painted the bungee covers
I had been periodically using up stripper on the wheel pants, then I realized they were the last significant parts to be stripped and cleaned. I bought these on-line and they looked ok in the photos, but stripping the paint revealed mucho bondo and many cracks and holes,
Then use a punch and knockometer and hopefully the rivet head breaks off and shank pushes out. If not, and the hole is centered, use a 1/8" bit to open up the hole. Sometimes it's necessary to back up with a bucking bar.
Taking all this care will generally leave a hole in good condition so I don't have to use oversize rivets (which will be AD rivets!)
Outboard sides get enlarged doublers too.
Anyway I thought about just cutting the whole edge off, but in the end decided to weld up the cracks. This in combination with the 2024 T3 doublers should last another Tcraft lifetime.
And all the new rivet holes dimpled for flush rivets so the pants will look as original as possible.
I made new outboard external doublers with the familiar shape.
After all what's not to like about that design.
Clad is removed and a nice finish achieved.
October 2015After doing the initial fabric on the tail feathers I also covered the gear legs
I made up four plywood supports in the hopes of creating a better edge to the fabric at the bottom of the legs.
Fabric is marked and the wood forms are glued in place prior to installing the the fabric,
And a coat of Polybrush is applied...